1st Vice President (VP)
The 1st VP of MNSA works on bylaws and policies of MNSA, monitors legislation affecting nursing and oversees parliamentary procedure using Robert’s Rules of Order, is responsible for leading Delegates Hall at the Annual Convention, and leads board meetings in absence of President.
- The 1st Vice President is an officer of the MNSA and operates mainly in a legislative capacity. In plain English, the 1st VP reports on rules and regulations that affect the MNSA and makes sure the MNSA’s Bylaws do not violate the NSNA’s Bylaws, as well as tracks the NSNA’s Bylaws pretty closely.
- The 1st VP prepares and submits proposed changes and policies to the MNSA’s Bylaws every year, puts together the Delegate Handbook for the Annual Convention, and acts as the MNSA delegate at the NSNA’s national convention.
- If the President is unable to fulfill his or her duties, the 1st VP steps in and takes over those duties.
- Assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President and shall succeed to the office of the President in the event of vacancy.
- The First VP is the Chairperson of the Legislative committees and helps out with other committees and other MNSA projects as the situation requires and/or as the President requires.
- The First VP also oversees the resolution process in the House of Delegates and acts as a resource for those members who want to prepare and present a resolution at the state and/or national level.
- Serve as Chairperson for the Committee on Bylaws, Policy, Resolutions, and Legislation, and be responsible for review and recommendations for changes in the bylaws and policies.
- Serve as resource person to local chapters of the MNSA by providing information on bylaws, resolutions, legislative affairs, and issues.
- Distribute the revised state bylaws to each MNSA constituent school within two (2) months after the close of the MNSA Annual House of Delegates meeting.
- Oversee parliamentary procedure during the annual meeting of the House of Delegates.
- Compile the Delegate Handbook for the annual convention.
- Represent the MNSA as a Delegate at the annual meeting of the NSNA. The First VP will prepare a report for the President every evening during the convention on the activities of the House of Delegates.
- Perform all other duties pertaining to the office.